Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Funny Valentine


It's Mama Laura. And yup, it's another post about love. I just can't help it, the big red day full of hearts makes me reflective and mushy.

There are all kinds of love - and we love different people for different reasons as we move through life. When you add children to your life, you experience an all-together-amazing-didn't-know-it-existed kind of love.

Tonight I want to talk about that amazing love that comes with parenthood. Being a mama to these amazing little creatures is beyond describable at times. It fills you up like nothing else can, and can bring you to tears just as quickly and all to often.

B is gone this week with his dad for the break - and I MISS him quite a bit when he's not here. I can tell that his brother and sister miss him too - and I worry that as he grows older we'll see him less and less. His valentine gift and cards sit on the counter waiting for him to come home, another reminder that although he is a big part of our family - he's part of another one too. A reminder that we miss many moments during these days.

I digress, but that bit of sadness about the one not here is what sent me down this path tonight....

Being a parent is hard. It is work and it can be frustrating and challenging and trying and downright exhausting. But when you boil it down - it's worth every bit of effort. Just as quickly as they take you to the brink - they bring you right back.

I hope that I always remember how lucky I am to have been given these three beautiful kids. I hope I remember to cherish the time I have with them - time is fleeting and life offers no guarantees. I hope I continue to mentor them with patience and offer the best guidance possible.
I hope I remember the sight of those tiny fingers and toes the day they joined me on my journey, I hope I remember how good they smell coming out of a bath and how cute they are as they begin to learn and explore their world. I hope I remember the sweet smiles, the small kisses - the sound of their laughs. I hope that I get to watch them grow into amazing adults and watch them as they go off to make families of their own.

I hope that B knows that both families love every minute they have with him. I hope that no matter what we all love one another like crazy, even if life get's a little bit so.

No comments:

Post a Comment